Adopted and forwarded to the Board of Governors for adoption and publishing in the Minimum Qualifications for Faculty and Administrators in California Community Colleges document.
Whereas, Oral testimony given through the consultation process used for the review of minimum qualifications for faculty in the California Community Colleges, known as the “Disciplines List,” supported the following revision to the discipline of Counseling DSPS:
Master'sdegree in rehabilitation counseling, counseling, guidance counseling, clinical or counseling psychology, education counseling, social work, career development, *marriage and family therapy, or *marriage, family and child counseling; AND
- fifteen or more semester units in upper division or graduate level course work specifically related to people with disabilities
- OR completion of six semester units, or the equivalent of a graduate-level counseling practicum or counseling field-work courses in a post-secondary DSPS program or in a program dealing predominantly or exclusively with people with disabilities,
- ORtwo years of full-time experience, orthe equivalent, in one or more of the following;
- (A)Counselingstudents with disabilities;
- or (B) Counseling in industry, government, public agencies, military orprivate social welfare organizations in which the responsibilitiesof the position were predominantly or exclusively for personswith disabilities
OR the equivalent; and
*NOTE: A Bachelor’s degree in one of the above listed degrees and a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) is an alternative to this discipline; and
Whereas, The Executive Committee of the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges has reviewed the proposal and deemed that it has followed the process outlined in the “Disciplines List Revision Handbook;”
Resolved, That the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges recommend that the California Community Colleges Board of Governors adopt the proposed revision to the “Disciplines List” for Counseling DSPS; and
Resolved, That the Academic Senate for California Community College work with the Chancellor’s Office to remove the existing minimum qualifications for Counseling DSPS from Title 5 §53414.