The ASCCC proudly introduces the new Faculty Empowerment and Leadership Academy (FELA), a one-to-one mentoring program designed to meet the needs of our diverse faculty in the California community college system. The program will provide opportunities for participants to engage in empowerment for personal and professional development, including networking opportunities and support through an entire year (starting in Spring 2021 and ending in summer 2022).
FELA will focus on the development of faculty from historically underrepresented groups in higher education. The academy will provide opportunities to connect with leaders from across the state, to empower faculty to seek leadership roles, and to provide regular contact with mentors. All activities in this leadership development program are designed to ensure participants are ready to meet the challenges of engaging in transformative leadership and equity-minded approaches to working with diverse student populations.
- TO CONNECT: Providing one-on-one mentoring to diverse faculty for personal and professional development with mentors who are campus leaders and/or administrators.
- TO EMPOWER: Creating safe and brave spaces for courageous conversations to investigate equity, diversity, and inclusion; to share personal and collective experiences on race, privilege, and oppression; and to embolden new faculty leaders to advocate for transformative change on their campuses.
- TO GUIDE: Providing networking opportunities and sharing guidance for navigating the systems of higher education. The focus of the mentoring will be to address the specific goals of the mentee.
- Academy (FELA) Day 1 at ASCCC Part-Time Faculty Institute (February 2021)
- 2 other FELA Days prior to other ASCCC events, such as Spring Plenary and Faculty Leadership Institute (note that registration, travel, and lodging for Plenary and other events is not included in program)
- 2 other ASCCC events (beyond FELA days; note that registration, travel, and lodging for other events not included in program)
- Monthly check-ins with mentor/mentee (during fall and spring, either remotely or in-person, duration determined by mentor in coordination with mentee approximately one half-hour or more)
- Co-write a Rostrum article or co-present at an ASCCC event with your mentor/mentee
Applications Are Currently Closed
Are you interested in being a FELA Mentor or Mentee? Please complete the application below and submit to FELAAcademy@asccc.org by 5:00 p.m. on November 1, 2020. Mentors and Mentees will be notified of their application status on December 15, 2020. Please direct any questions to FELAAcademy@asccc.org.